By leveraging our unique, inherently transient Lattice Boltzmann-based physics, SIMULIA PowerFLOW® CFD solution performs simulations that accurately predict real world conditions. Using the PowerFLOW suite, engineers evaluate product performance early in the design process prior to any prototype being built — when the impact of change is most significant for design and budgets. PowerFLOW imports fully complex model geometry and accurately and efficiently performs aerodynamic, aeroacoustic and thermal management simulations.
SOLID SOLUTIONS FOR TRANSPORTATION
PowerFLOW accurately simulates fluid flow design problems for numerous transportation industry sectors, including: Automotive, Commercial Vehicle, Off-Highway, Train, Motorsport, Motorcycle, Military Vehicle, Bus, Aerospace and others.
PowerFLOW offers validated application solutions and best practice methodologies for:
- AERODYNAMICS: Aerodynamic efficiency; vehicle handling; soiling and water management; panel deformation; driving dynamics
- AEROACOUSTICS: greenhouse wind noise; underbody wind noise; gap/seal noise; mirror, whistle and tonal noise; sunroof and window buffeting; pass-by/community noise; cooling fan noise
- THERMAL MANAGEMENT: cooling airflow; thermal protection; brake cooling; drive cycle simulation; key-off and soak; electronics and battery cooling; RoA/intake ports
- CLIMATE CONTROL: Cabin comfort; HVAC unit & distribution system performance; HVAC system and fan noise; defrost and demist
- POWERTRAIN: Drivetrain cooling; exhaust systems; cooling jacket; engine block
- SOILING AND WATER MANAGEMENT: A pillar overflow, dirt and dust accumulation, tire spray
FEATURES AND BENEFITS OF POWERFLOW
PowerFLOW has several distinct advantages over experimental methods and traditional Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) technologies.
Accurate, Transient Results
Patented Lattice Boltzmann-based fluid simulation produces accurate, transient results and better functional designs.
TRACE TRANSIENT PARTICLES New in POWERFLOW 5.5
Diagnose and solve vehicle soiling accumulation problems by tracking the source of particles
FAST, ACCURATE CABIN COMFORT SIMULATION NEW IN POWERFLOW 5.5
New Physics developments resulting in the PowerFLOW suite's FROZEN VELOCITY solver allows users to rapidly assess HVAC and cabin designs faster and with improved accuracy
APPLICATION-SPECIFIC TEMPLATES EASE SETUP
Aerodynamic, thermal and wind noise templates in SIMULIA PowerCASE™ enable a fast, automated case setup process for PowerFLOW users.
State-of-the-art Very Large Eddy Simulation (VLES) model inherently captures the transient nature of simulations; turbulent boundary layer simulation capabilities for high Reynolds number problems.
TEMPLATE LIBRARY TO EASE SETUP - NEW IN POWERFLOW 5.5
Aerodynamic, thermal, heavy vehicle and wind noise templates enable a fast, automated case setup process for PowerFLOW users
TRUE ROTATING GEOMETRY
PowerFLOW's ability to simulate true rotating geometry enables practical and accurate prediction of noise and performance of HVAC and cooling fans — something that is simply not possible using standard rotating reference frame models. It also improves accuracy for any application that has rotating components and is transient in nature. Applications include:
- Fan noise and performance: Simulations for axial flow fans, centrifugal fans, mixed flow fans and cross flow fans; ability to analyze flow rates, pressure rise
- Brake cooling
- Wheel aerodynamics
- Pumps, blowers, turbines, mixers and more
To learn more about our PowerFLOW CFD solution, visit the Resource Library.
FAST, AUTOMATED SETUP WITH SIMULIA POWERCASE
SIMULIA PowerCASE provides an intuitive, fast interface for preparing cases with any level of geometric complexity. Since PowerFLOW's fluid grid generation is fully automated, building a case is a simple process of creating and importing geometry, defining initial conditions and boundary conditions and choosing which measurements to record during simulation. A powerful template facility is available to streamline setup of even the most complex cases, and dozens of other capabilities streamline the setup process:
- Import and position tessellated geometry from SIMULIA PowerDELTA® or CAD systems in STL and Nastran formats
- Create and position simple geometry to complement imported geometry
- Integrated setup for coupled SIMULIA PowerCOOL® and SIMULIA PowerTHERM® simulations
- Built-in equation language for defining complex time- and space-varying boundary conditions
- Detect and warn of common setup mistakes
Upon completion of a simulation, SIMULIA PowerVIZ® allows results to be quickly analyzed, while SIMULIA PowerINSIGHT® allows results analysis to be automated, leaving users more time to assess and test alternative designs.
The SIMULIA PowerFLOW suite seamlessly combines to address other, expanded applications:
- SIMULIA PowerTHERM: Predicts surface temperatures and heat fluxes generated with fully coupled state-of-the-art radiation and conduction solver
- SIMULIA PowerCOOL: Predicts heat exchanger performance and top tank temperatures with fully coupled cooling system simulation model
- SIMULIA PowerACOUSTICS®: Aeroacoustic noise prediction and analysis
DIGITAL WIND TUNNEL™
- For validation with experimental data, it's important to simulate the physical wind tunnel setup along with the model.
- For external flow studies, PowerFLOW comes with ready-to-use parametric digital wind tunnel templates for aerodynamic and aeroacoustic simulations
- Standard digital wind tunnel templates may be customized to conform to your wind tunnel
- The Digital Wind Tunnel model includes:
- Static and moving ground plane modeling to more accurately reflect real-world conditions
- Boundary layer suction point to match experimental wind tunnels
- Specification of a known experimental boundary layer inlet profile
RAPID SIMULATION TURN-AROUND TIME
- PowerFLOW is architected from the ground up for operation in high-performance computing environments in order to achieve the fastest possible simulation times — providing near linear scalability up to hundreds of processor cores.
- Fast time to solution: Setup, grid generation, simulation and results analysis in less than a day.
- One model, many simulations: Once a surface mesh model is prepared, the same model may be used to perform additional simulations (such as thermal or aeroacoustic) using the PowerFLOW suite of products.