MS or PhD Student
Terms: Full Time [6+ months] preferred.
Start Date: Spring / Summer 2016
Outstanding opportunity for MS graduate or PhD student to be part of a Physics Validation Team working on-site at Exa’s world headquarters in metro Boston (Burlington, MA). In this position, you will be part of the Validation Team in Exa Physics Research & Development, a world class group of researchers in the fields of Lattice Boltzmann and Turbulence Modeling. Exa’s suite of innovative software simulation products impacts how Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) is used in many industrial settings worldwide.
In this role, you will work with Physics Validation staff, as well as interacting with other Physics members on the development and validation of commercial Exa’s CFD software PowerFLOW, Exa’s flagship product, as well on supporting related CFD applications globally. You will receive training and be expected to become a proficient user of PowerFLOW, and its related pre- and post-analysis tools.
- Perform literature review on selected topics in aerospace/gas turbine CFD applications and summarize findings; set up numerical tests for CFD benchmarks; develop codes/scripts to automate simulation and analysis jobs; research specific phenomena and report findings to the physics team.
- Provide assistance to Physics Validation staff for various development and validation needs by performing numerical benchmarks and detailed data analysis, and presenting results in a timely manner
- Potential to expand to other technical development opportunities depending on candidate’s ability and performance.
Education & Requirements:
- MS graduate or PhD student in Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Physics, or related field. Recent graduates will also be considered.
- Solid knowledge of Fluid Dynamics and Heat Transfer, course/lab work of turbulence modeling, Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD), gas turbine thermodynamics required.
- Familiar with Unix/Linux operating systems, with basic knowledge of shell scripting and Python programming.
- Detail oriented, ability to handle multiple tasks/multiple projects simultaneously, able to work effectively in fast paced team environment.
- Proficient English verbal/written communication skills.
- Must be available for a minimum of 6 months, 40 hours per week on-site.
The following experience/knowledge is a plus:
- Experience in CFD applications of gas turbine thermodynamics or jet acoustic noise is highly desirable
For immediate consideration, please send your resume with Job Title: Physics Validation Engineer Intern in subject line to email@example.com.
Exa Corporation is an EEO/AA/Veterans/Disability Employer